Departure to the village of Dolinka (50 km from the city of Karaganda). Karlag (full name – Karaganda Correctional labor camp of the People's Commissariat of Internal Affairs - NKVD) was one of hundreds of camps collectively called GULAG (Main Directorate of Camps), which were organized by Joseph Stalin during the period of mass political repression. The administrative center of Karlag was located in the village of Dolinka. From here, the entire camp system was managed, which occupied a huge territory (from north to south – about 300 km, from east to west – about 200 km), and had a lot of branches on the territory of Central Kazakhstan.
In Dolinka, you can visit the museum of memory of victims of political repression, located in the building of the former hospital for freelancers; the building of the former Karlag administration – a majestic building with columns, made in the style of Soviet neoclassicism, also called the "Stalin Empire"; the house of officers, a former cultural center for local military; and the house of technology, where exhibitions of achievements of the national farms; maternity hospital and children's cemetery, storing the remains of thousands of babies and nicknamed "mommy's"; the building of the prayer house, as well as numerous ruins of adobe buildings erected once by the prisoners themselves.
The Spassky Memorial is located 30 kilometers south of Karaganda. In 1941, in accordance with the order of the NKVD, camp No. 99 was organized here, where foreign prisoners of war were brought. In total, more than 70,000 people stayed in the special camp during the war and post-war years, they were representatives of more than 4 dozen different nationalities. All the deceased were buried in the territory of the adjacent field, no signs and identification marks were installed on the graves. Now there is a memorial cemetery organized here. 14 commemorative signs from several countries were installed at this place. The purpose of their creation is to honor the memory of the victims of Karlag.