In 1917, historical records indicate that the village of Gavrilovskoye, now known as Taldykorgan, was home to a population of more than 3,000 residents. At the heart of the village, there were two prominent Orthodox churches situated on an elevated platform. However, during the era of the Soviet Union, churches and schools were closed as part of the state’s policies.
A significant development took place in 1987 when Archpriest Vladimir Sharov spearheaded the construction of a typical brick church. Tragically, in 1997, Archpriest Vladimir Sharov met with an untimely end and was laid to rest in a solemn ceremony to the right of the church’s altar.
Finally, the culmination of these efforts resulted in the consecration of the cathedral in honor of the Apostle and Evangelist John the Theologian in 1993.